NC AWWA-WEA Policies and Procedures
Date: September 15, 2011
Approved By: Board of Trustees
Revisions: November 15, 2014; January 29, 2015
It is also the intent of the Board to establish communication standards to which all those using group sharing portals, or posting information to the Web Site will be expected to adhere.
- Ownership: The web site www.ncsafewater.org is owned and operated by the North Carolina American Water Works Association and North Carolina Water Environment Association (NC AWWA-WEA), headquartered in Raleigh, NC, USA
- Personal Information: When members join NC AWWA-WEA, they provide the association with certain information about themselves. Non-members who make purchases from NC AWWA-WEA, register for events or otherwise transact business with NC AWWA-WEA also share some identifying information. Some of this information, which might include name, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, employer identification and membership numbers, is placed in a database. The database is used to help NC AWWA-WEA communicate official business of the association with the members, and facilitate appropriate communications between members and NC AWWA-WEA staff.
- Credit Card Information: It is necessary for transactions conducted through the web site to result in the storage of the data submitted during those transactions. Credit card numbers and other information used to complete a financial transaction are transmitted in a secure and encrypted form.
- Database & Individual Profiles: NC AWWA-WEA uses a third party company (YourMembership) to store most member and non-members profiles in a database, and to process all financial transactions. YourMembership.com is PCI compliant and audited quarterly by a third-party company called Security Metrics. Secure Socket Layers (SSL) is used to protect sensitive information in transit. Real-time credit card processing is utilized, therefore financial information is never stored and only the last 4 digits are saved and encrypted.
Those joining NC AWWA-WEA, registering for an event, or making a purchase create a profile within the NC AWWA-WEA YourMembership database. As a part of this profile a username and password are created. Only the person creating the information and NC AWWA-WEA staff shall have access to the information within the YourMembership database
- Protection of Username or Password: Everyone is urged not share username or password with others, as this would give them access to personal information that is not their own. NC AWWA-WEA members may login to their profile at any time to update their information, set their contact preferences and view past receipts. Non-members may login at anytime to view past receipts. Members may themselves enter, or may request in writing that staff enter the name and email address for a second person whom they authorize to receive receipts.
- Monitoring and Improving the Web Site: As a part of its ongoing operation, the web site records certain information about how the site is used, for the purpose of monitoring that use and improving the functionality of the site. The data collected includes, but is not limited to the origins of all visits to the site, including the referring domain and URL, IP address and machine identity of the visitor, where available; the activities of all visitors while on the site; and information about the use and function of the site itself, intended to help monitor its effectiveness and performance.
- Cookies: Records known as "cookies" are delivered from the web site to the user’s browser for the purpose of identifying the user and making repeat functions simpler and quicker, in hopes of enhancing the user’s experience using the site. Those who do not wish to allow NC AWWA-WEA to deliver the information necessary for this function to their browsers can set an option in their browser program to disable its ability to accept cookies from any site.
- Sharing of Information: NC AWWA-WEA does not sell, rent, trade or give any of the information collected to other organizations, companies or individuals, except as may be necessary to complete an individual transaction that the user has specifically requested and authorized.
- Links: The web site contains links to other sites. NC AWWA-WEA is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of other web sites. Anyone who discovers a problem with a site that is linked to the web site is asked to please notify NC AWWA-WEA immediately.
- Children: NC AWWA-WEA does not intentionally or knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. NC AWWA-WEA neither identifies information as originating from children nor does NC AWWA-WEA target its marketing, communications, this web site or any goods or services to children.
- Online Group Rules & Etiquette: To ensure the best possible experience for all group members, basic guidelines for participation will be posted and all users will be asked to affirm that these guidelines have been read and are agreed to. At a minimum, these shall include
- Posting comments of will be reserved for topics best suited to the medium.
- All guidelines provided will be adhered to, in order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue
- NC AWWA-WEA reserves the right to suspend or terminate online access for members who violate the rules.
- No commercial comments may be posted.
- No prices, salaries, benefits, fees, or specific business transactions may be posted or discussed.
- No defamatory, disparaging, or critical statement may be posted about any person or company.
- Caution should be exercised when products or services are referenced.
- NC AWWA-WEA and other group participants have the right to reproduce comments that are posted online.
- No proprietary, confidential, or legally privileged information should be disclosed.
- Private pages are made available to committees and smaller groups within NC AWWA-WEA for the purpose of exchanging information related to NC AWWA-WEA business. Access to these pages is restricted to a smaller group, but participants should be aware that all information exchanged on those pages may be accessed by the public so care should be taken to follow all rules.
- Access to logins and passwords, and the privacy of the computers used to access the private pages should be safeguarded to protect the work of each group.
- Access to private pages should not be restricted unnecessarily.
- The online group is provided as a service of NC AWWA-WEA. NC AWWA-WEA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others.
- NC AWWA-WEA disclaims all warranties with regard to information and comments posted, whether posted by NC AWWA-WEA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness.
- In no event shall NC AWWA-WEA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use of performance of any information or comments posted.
- By posting material, the individual posting warrants and represents that he/she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner and by posting, grants NC AWWA-WEA and members of any online group the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such comments, information, or other material.
- NC AWWA-WEA reserves the right to actively monitor the online group for inappropriate postings and undertake editorial control of postings. Further, if a posting deemed inappropriate by NC AWWA-WEA, NC AWWA-WEA will take any and all appropriate action, including termination of access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
- Questions and Comments: Those with questions regarding this privacy statement, the practices of the web site, or their dealings with the web site are asked to contact NC AWWA-WEA and are provided with the contact information.